Friday, March 12, 2010

A Little Bowl



This little bowl just came out of the kiln. It measures 3 1/2 inches wide and 2 inches tall. It's as light as a feather.






It's an experiment in throwing very thin walls, using underglazes and a new transparent glaze. And a departure from a lot of the kinds of things I do. Whatever THAT is.

For a while I worried about establishing a 'style'. My conclusion: I don't have a style. I just do what works at the moment. My style is impulse.

Anyway, first, I must say the photo looks better than the real bowl. The yellow doesn't read this strongly. Should I fiddle with it more? The jury's still out. I'm tempted to add another glaze and refire, but that's kind of silly. Those kinds of things sometimes are disasters. I'd be better off just making another bowl and going from there, I think.




I think I'll call it "Egg".

2 comments:

Linda Starr said...

I'd leave it like it is and fire another one. I don't usually like yellow, but the combo of the background the gray/black and yellow is quite pleasing.

Clay and Fiber Artist said...

I'm not crazy about yellow either.....but I had this jar of underglaze. Now I know what it looks like fired on.

You're right. Better to leave it alone. It's in my cabinet now ready for use when I slice a tomato in half or want to save or serve some little tid-bit. (I like to turn a tomato half sliced-side down into something ceramic or glass instead of plastic for storage.) When I mention this at sales, I see a light go on in people's eyes and they say, "Yeah, that's a good idea."