Wednesday, December 9, 2009

White Bowl















I just finished photographing a bowl called "Contemplation".

It's a medium-sized bowl, 9 inches in diameter, 4 1/4 inches tall and trimmed so there is a little 'well' in the bottom of the foot. Inside the well are three perfect spheres. You can imagine them rolling around and around.


The design is my interpretation of what I do when I concentrate.


I try to open my mind up and make it totally blank, totally open to allow whatever I'm seeking to flow in.


Agnes Martin, a painter, said, "I paint with my back to the world." In other words, blocking out all of the press of the every-day.

In order for inspiration to come, there must be a completely open, blank space for it to come into.


Writers talk about "A book writing itself. Or the characters taking the story and going with it."

I'm fascinated by what goes on when an artist is in this suspended space; this bubble where the mind, eye, hand and process dominate above all other things. A kind of meditation with action. A state of being and doing. A convergence of the You of you with another power.

There are times when I feel like a pot makes itself while I just hold it.


Makes my head spin with wonder.

No comments: