Friday, February 6, 2009

Old Reminders













This is an old pitcher I threw very early in my clay-making.

There are lots of flaws, but I've kept it around because I just like it.
It is a large pitcher--holds about a half gallon of liquid, but it will never be used. It's too heavy. The bottom is thick. The walls are thicker than I would make today. And I'd use a different type of clay.

The handle, although strong enough, doesn't have a flowing curve. And the top and bottom of the handle seem blunt. I added clay to both ends when I attached it to the body of the pot--I've learned better since then.

I do like the spout. It pours without a drop. You probably can't see it in the photos, but there is an ice dam at the very top. The spout is hand built, nice and deep, fits the body of the vessel and balances the power of the handle. The whole relationship between the body, handle and spout "works".

But the best thing is, I love the glaze. It was a special one; a spin-off from another rutile glaze that I had requested from my clay supplier. He had come up with a weathered bronze that worked well with my square teapots and was experimenting with a variation of the glaze. The lines are the result of dipping the pot in spout-first, then rotating the pot when I glazed the back of it. The thicker drips were rolled around the pot and surprised me when the drips fired this lovely blue.



It's good to keep something around to remind yourself where you've been.

One day, I'll make another and improve on the flaws. The body walls will be thinner. The handle will 'grow' from the walls of the pot. The roundness of both will be exaggerated.

The spout will keep the dip between the ice dam and the tip. The bottom of the spout will be in line with the bottom of the handle.

Or maybe I will use this form as a springboard to repeat but elongate it into an oval pitcher.

I doubt I can duplicate that glaze, though.

1 comment:

carter gillies said...

I wish I had saved more pots from my formative years in clay. Having settled into a much narrower personality for all the work I now do I sometimes miss the freedom that was so natural back then. I remember such interesting ideas that I had explored, but only vaguely. Of course we didn't have digital cameras either so nobody was even documenting their evolution. What an advantage for today's students! Glad you were able to hold onto some things. Sounds like fun revisiting those older thoughts for some inspiration. Good luck!