Monday, April 21, 2008

Dragons


I don't have a kiln god--I have a kiln dragon. This fellow hangs on the wall near my kiln. I've had him for years and honestly can't remember when I got him. It must have been when we were stationed in Japan. Somebody must have given him to me, 'cause I wouldn't have bought him......He's made of all sorts of electronic wires and other plastic detritus. (The paper umbrella is my addition after we moved to the Pacific Northwest.)

Recently, I bought a slide converter--one of those great gizmos that converts 35 mm slides into digital files. I'm in the process of taking stacks of old family and art slides to store onto discs both for an art archive and to share the family ones with my children.

In the process, I ran across this old watercolor from many years ago. This was done in an experimental class dealing with creating paintings on very wet paper and manipulating the color runs. The title is "Realm of the Red Dragon".

See the resemblance? Hint: The head of the dragon is in the lower left-hand corner.

No comments: