Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Back to work

At last I got back to claywork! Seems like I've been walking thrugh mud with all the other demands on time. A while back, I found two plaster molds for plates that were used to make ceramics plates by pouring liquid clay inside, allowing it to set up then unmolding the form. I usually throw plates on the wheel, but this time, I used a half of one of the the molds - the part that would make the inside half of a large plate - rolled out a large slab of clay about 3/8 inch thick to drape over the plaster and create a plate form. It turned out well, although I have my doubts if it was any easier or quicker than just throwing on the wheel. I cut the rim off at angles using a fettling knife. The inside of the plate is round, the rim is angular. I like the way it looks. Think I'll make a batch and experiment with glazes playing with different glaze layers and the angular rims. We'll see.



Here's a photo of the back of the new Tucson house from the 18th hole. The vegetation on the fence is bougianvillaea. Can't wait to see it in all it's glory. The house has a Tuscan feel with stucco walls, cornices at roof edge, red tile roof, tall windows and doors; a feeling of coolness and space. It will be nice to be there.

No comments: